It's been a while since I reviewed a matte lipstick (you can read the Elianto one here), so here I am!
As you know, Colourpop has just only recently came out with a new product, and that is their Ultra Matte Lip. As the name suggests, it's a liquid lipstick that dries matte, and it touts to be able to glide onto the lips smoothly thanks to its lightweight formula and leaves SUPER intense pigment-rich colour with a bold, ultra matte look. It’s very long wearing and completely kiss proof!
This range comes in 33 shades, and retails for USD 6 (about RM24) per piece. When Makeup Niche first shared about it, I got very excited because the colours were all very pretty! They come in all hues, from nudes to pinks, to fuchsias, to purples, even greens! Yup, the range of colours are extensive!
And the best part of it all was that Makeup Niche was gonna do a pre-order of these products! So I got down to research which shades I wanted, and ended up whittling down the list to only three colours, which were Solow, Bumble, and Shimmy. I had such a hard time deciding which shade to get because the shades were all so pretty!
When I finally got my orders, I was quite excited to try them out, and that was exactly what I did!
This is how the packaging looks like. I quite like the minimalistic design, the lipstick comes in a glass tube with a silver cover. The tube is clear, and there is just the Colourpop branding with the product name on it in silver tones. Absolutely love the design :)
These are the colours as how they look like in the tube. When I first opened them up, I thought Solow and Bumble looked alike, but no worries, Bumble is noticeably darker upon inspection.
The product colours are at the bottom of the product, but that is pretty standard for any lipgloss or product that comes in a tube.
So, moving on to our first item, Solow. (link: https://colourpop.com/product/solow)
This colour is a nude pink colour, but it doesn't go on as dark as you would expect it to. I like that it is a neutral shade, not very dark, but still giving my lips some colour.
Second product, Bumble (link: https://colourpop.com/product/bumble/)
It's a little darker than Solow, and is more of a dusty dark pink colour. This is the darkest shade I have, and I love that it doesn't come off looking red. Kinda like the clay terracotta brick type of colour.
Lastly, Shimmy (link: https://colourpop.com/product/shimmy/)
Now this was a bit of a disappointment for me, because the colour didn't come out as I expected it to. You will see why in a moment. What I can say is that the colour doesn't look like what you would see on the applicator. It looks a bit darker on the applicator, but upon application the colour is lighter, like a pastel pink colour. When I swatched it, the colour oxidised after a while so I thought it would be the same for my lips. But unfortunately that wasn't the case.
So on to the swatches!
Taken with flash
Taken under artificial light. Take note of Shimmy
Taken under natural light. As you can see, Shimmy looks quite dark here.
And on to the lip swatches!
My au naturel lips, with only lip balm.
This is Solow
To really try the long-wearability of the product, I took Bumble out for a test run. As I had a full day of meetings, I thought to give this a try to see how long I could go without touching up. The first photo was taken at 9am, and the next was 10 hours later, at 7pm. No touch up done AT ALL. As you can see, the colour stayed on all day.
Close up of my lips at 7pm. Though the colour has faded a little, the colour still stays strong enough that I don't need to touch up anything at all.
So some final thoughts on Colourpop's latest product:
- As a matte lipstick, naturally it will be dry after application, but that is nothing a little lipbalm won't fix if layered on before putting on the lipstick.
- The colours are very vibrant, and very pigmented.
- It is waterproof. The swatches on my hand didn't even come off even after I bathed and tried to wash it off with soap.
- Only can be removed via oil-based eye and lip remover. You can use a water-based remover, but at the expense of rubbing your lips hard and causing more lines around your lip area.
- It is absolutely long lasting. I tried on Bumble for a whole day, and I really love its staying power. Even after I've eaten, the colour still stays on. I am amazed. This is the first time I have had lipstick on that I didn't need to reapply.
- On the packaging, I love the minimalist design. It is clean, and simple.
- Price-wise is also not too bad. I got it from Makeup Niche, so I paid RM33 per piece, but the shipping is free. Some of you might say it's better to get it from the website itself, but for me I deal with Makeup Niche, and they sort out all the problems for me. And they're very reliable, so I don't mind.
Would you buy your own Colourpop Ultra Matte Lip? Tell me in the comments below!
Til the next time, stay beautiful!